English - Vietnamese Dictionary
spend /spend/Concise Dictionary
- ngoại động từ spent
- dùng (thì giờ...), tốn
- to spend time in reading: dùng thì giờ vào việc đọc
- qua, sống qua
- to spend the holidays by the seaside: qua những ngày nghỉ ở bờ biển
- to spend a sleepless night: qua một đêm không ngủ
- làm dịu đi, làm nguôi đi, làm hết đà; làm hết, làm kiệt, tiêu phí
- his fury was spent: cơn giận của hắn đã nguôi
- anger spends itself: cơn giận nguôi đi
- the storm has spent itself: cơn bão đã dịu đi
- to spend one's energy: tiêu phí nghị lực
- (hàng hải) gãy; mất (cột buồm)
- nội động từ
- tàn, hết
- candles spend fast in draught: nên đốt ở chỗ gió lùa chóng hết
- to spend a penny
- (thông tục) đi đái; đi ỉa
+pass (time) in a specific way
Advanced English Dictionary
1 pay out, disburse, expend, lay out, Colloq fork out, dish out, shell out, Brit splash out:
That man spends more for a suit than you earn in a year.
2 squander, throw away, fritter away, waste, go through, splurge, lavish, dissipate:
He spends money as if it's going out of style.
3 devote, allot, assign, invest, put in, pass:
If you don't spend more time with the children they'll forget they have a father.
+ nounCollocation Dictionary
[U] the amount of money that is spent by a government or an organization: to increase / reduce public spending
There has been an increase in total government spending.
| high, low | annual, monthly, etc. | defence, education, military, R & D, welfare, etc. | capital | government, local (authority), public, state | private | consumer
VERB + SPENDING
boost, increase | cut, cut back (on), reduce
SPENDING + VERB
rise | fall
SPENDING + NOUN
level | programme, target | cut, limit | money
How much spending money are you taking on holiday?
| power | spree
The boys went on a two-day spending spree with the stolen credit cards.
More spending on the National Health Service was promised.
a cut/reduction in spending, an increase/a rise in spending
> Special page at BUSINESS
Random quote: Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.: Helen KellerLatest queries: armour, confidant, striated, find fault with, degrading, likeness, deflect, antiquity, way, finishes, way, petition, celebrated, february, wrecker, peacefulness, fireman, peeping, flab, spending,