English - Vietnamese Dictionary
shrill /ʃril/Concise Dictionary
- tính từ
- the thé, lanh lảnh, điếc tai, inh tai
- (nghĩa bóng) hay la gào, hay réo; hay nheo nhéo quấy rầy (người)
- động từ
- (thơ ca); (văn học) la, kêu the thé, rít lên in tai nhức óc; hát the thé; nói nheo nhéo
- whistle shrills: tiếng còi rít lên inh tai nhức óc
- to shrill out a song: the thé hát một bài
- to shrill out a complaint: than phiền nheo nhéo
+utter a shrill cry
+having or emitting a high-pitched and sharp tone or tones
+being sharply insistent on being heard
+of colors that are bright and gaudy
Advanced English Dictionary
high-pitched, ear-splitting, piercing, ear-piercing, sharp, piping, screeching, screechy, penetrating:
She let out a shrill cry when she saw what had happened.
+ adjective (shriller, shrillest)
1 (of sounds or voices) very high and loud, in an unpleasant way: a shrill voice / whistle / laugh
2 loud and determined but often unreasonable: shrill demands / protests / threats
shrilly adverb: She laughed shrilly.
shrillness noun [U]
+ verb (written)
1 [V] to make an unpleasant high loud sound: Behind him, the telephone shrilled.
2 [V speech] to say sth in a loud, high voice: 'Wait for me!' she shrilled.
Random quote: Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.: John KennedyLatest queries: bored, altogether, waiver, cryptic, comely, rattletrap, greet, unconvinced, index, perforation, portal, leads, leaded, blastula, lead, assign, syphilis, flooding, unresponsive, shrill,