English - Vietnamese Dictionary
key /ki:/Concise Dictionary
- danh từ
- khoá (lên dây đàn, dây cót đồng hồ, vặn đinh ốc...)
- (âm nhạc) khoá; điệu, âm điệu
- the key of C major: khoá đô trưởng
- major key: điệu trưởng
- minor key: điệu thứ
- (điện học) cái khoá
- charge and discharge key: cái khoá phóng nạp
- phím (đàn pianô); nút bấm (sáo); bấm chữ (máy chữ)
- (kỹ thuật) mộng gỗ; chốt sắt; cái nêm
- cái manip ((thường) telegraph key)
- chìa khoá (của một vấn đề...), bí quyết; giải pháp
- the key to a mystery: chìa khoá để khám phá ra một điều bí ẩn
- the key to a difficulty: giải pháp cho một khó khăn
- lời giải đáp (bài tập...), sách giải đáp toán; lời chú dẫn (ở bản đồ)
- bản dịch theo từng chữ một
- ý kiến chủ đạo, ý kiến bao trùm
- (từ Mỹ,nghĩa Mỹ) nguyên tắc cơ bản; khẩu hiệu chính trong một cuộc vận động
- vị trí cửa ngõ, vị trí then chốt
- Gibraltar has been called the key to the Mediterranean: người ta gọi Gi-bran-ta là cửa ngõ của Địa trung hải
- giọng; cách suy nghĩ, cách diễn đạt
- to speak in a high key: nói giọng cao
- to speak in a low key: nói giọng trầm
- all in the same key: đều đều, đơn điệu
- (số nhiều) quyền lực của giáo hoàng
- power of the keys: quyền lực của giáo hoàng
- (định ngữ) then chốt, chủ yếu
- key branch of industry: ngành công nghiệp then chốt
- key position: vị trí then chốt
- golden (silver) key
- tiền đấm mồm, tiền hối lộ
- to have (get) the key of the street
- phải ngủ đêm ngoài đường, không cửa không nhà
- ngoại động từ
- (kỹ thuật) ((thường) + in, on) chèn, chêm, nêm, đóng chốt
- ((thường) + up) lên dây (đàn pianô...)
- (từ Mỹ,nghĩa Mỹ) làm cho hợp với, làm cho thích ứng với
- to key up
- (nghĩa bóng) khích động, kích thích, cổ vũ, động viên
- to key up somebody to do something: động viên ai làm gì
- nâng cao, tăng cường
- to key up one's endeavour: tăng cường nỗ lực
- (từ Mỹ,nghĩa Mỹ) làm căng thẳng tinh thần, làm căng thẳng đầu óc
+metal device shaped in such a way that when it is inserted into the appropriate lock the lock's mechanism can be rotated
+something crucial for explaining
+pitch of the voice
+any of 24 major or minor diatonic scales that provide the tonal framework for a piece of music
+a kilogram of a narcotic drug
+a winged often one-seed indehiscent fruit as of the ash or elm or maple
+United States lawyer and poet who wrote a poem after witnessing the British attack on Baltimore during the War of 1812; the poem was later set to music and entitled `The Star-Spangled Banner' (1779-1843)
+a coral reef off the southern coast of Florida
+(basketball) a space (including the foul line) in front of the basket at each end of a basketball court; usually painted a different color from the rest of the court
+a list of answers to a test
+a list of words or phrases that explain symbols or abbreviations
+a generic term for any device whose possession entitles the holder to a means of access
+mechanical device used to wind another device that is driven by a spring (as a clock)
+the central building block at the top of an arch or vault
+a lever that actuates a mechanism when depressed
+identify as in botany or biology, for example
+provide with a key
+vandalize a car by scratching the sides with a key
+regulate the musical pitch of
+harmonize with or adjust to
+serving as an essential component
+effective; producing a desired effect
Advanced English Dictionary
1 latchkey, skeleton key, passkey, opener:
Have you lost your car keys again? You will need a key to open the air valve on the radiator
2 clue, cue, guide, indication, indicator, explanation:
The key to his behaviour can probably be found in the way his mother treated him in his childhood
3 pitch, tone, timbre, level, tonality, frequency:
The song was originally written in the key of C.
4 legend, explanation, description, explication, clarification, translation:
A key to the symbols appears on every other page.
5 mood, tenor, tone, humour, style:
In this passage there is a change to a more sombre key.
6 important, essential, vital, necessary, crucial, critical, main, pivotal:
Automatic reversal is a key feature of this cassette player. Roderick is a key man in the company.
noun, verb, adjectiveCollocation Dictionary
tool for lock
1 a specially shaped piece of metal used for locking a door, starting a car, etc: to insert / turn the key in the lock + the car keys + a bunch of keys + the spare key to the front door + We'll have a duplicate key cut (= made). + There's a special key for winding up this clock.
most important thing
2 [usually sing.] ~ (to sth) a thing that makes you able to understand or achieve sth: The key to success is preparation. + The driver of the car probably holds the key to solving the crime. + (especially AmE) The key is, how long can the federal government control the inflation rate?
3 any of the buttons that you press to operate a computer or TYPEWRITER: Press the return key to enter the information.
on musical instrument
4 any of the wooden or metal parts that you press to play a piano and some other musical instruments
5 a set of related notes, based on a particular note. Pieces of music are usually written mainly using a particular key: a sonata in the key of E flat major + This piece changes key many times.
Compare: SCALE n. (7)
6 a set of answers to exercises or problems: Check your answers in the key at the back of the book.
7 an explanation of the symbols used on a map or plan
See also - LOW-KEY
Idioms see LOCK n.
+ verb [VN] ~ sth (in)
~ sth (into sth) to put information into a computer using a keyboard
Key (in) your password.
Phrasal Verbs: key sb/sth to sth [usually passive] (especially AmE) to make sb/sth suitable or appropriate for a particular purpose: The classes are keyed to the needs of advanced students.
+ adjective [only before noun] most important; essential: the key issue / factor / point + He was a key figure in the campaign. + She played a key role in the dispute. + 'Caution' is the key word in this situation.
1 for a door
master, skeleton | duplicate, spare | car, desk, front door, house, ignition, etc.
a large bunch of keys a set of car keys
VERB + KEY
She turned the key in the lock.
| insert, put in | remove, take out | use
She must have used a key to get in.
KEY + VERB
You need a key to open the garage.
| lock | turn
They heard a key turn in the back door lock.
with a/the ~
You have toclose it with the key.
| ~ to
thekey to the front door
get a key cut
I'll getanother key cut so that you canhave one.
2 on a computer
Alt, arrow, backspace, control, delete, escape, function, return, shift, etc. | shortcut
F1 is the shortcut key for calling up help.
the top row of keys
VERB + KEY
hit, hold down, press, touch
Hold down the Alt key while pressing the arrow keys.
> Special page at COMPUTER
3 explanation of symbols, etc.
KEY + VERB
tell sb sth
The key tells you what all the symbols mean.
in a/the ~
You can find the symbols in the key at the bottom of the page.
| ~ to
the key to the signs and symbols
4 decisive factor
VERB + KEY
First-time voters could hold the key to the election result.
Language is the key to understanding those around you.
5 in music
major, minor | high, low
VERB + KEY
KEY + VERB
The key changes from C major to A minor.
KEY + NOUN
change | signature
There are two sharps in the key signature of D major.
in a/the ~
What key's it in? Can we try it in a lower key?
| ~ of
the key of G major
Random quote: The most dangerous way to lose time is not to spend it having fun, but to spend it doing fake work. When you spend time having fun, you know you're being self-indulgent.: Paul GrahamLatest queries: shipwreck, inevitably, benifit, shabby, frequently, tender, bonnet, marvelled, shared, span, script, therapy, constitution, knowing, rattlesnake, machine translation, v, illustrate, ambiguous, key,