English - Vietnamese Dictionary
key /ki:/Concise Dictionary
- danh từ
- khoá (lên dây đàn, dây cót đồng hồ, vặn đinh ốc...)
- (âm nhạc) khoá; điệu, âm điệu
- the key of C major: khoá đô trưởng
- major key: điệu trưởng
- minor key: điệu thứ
- (điện học) cái khoá
- charge and discharge key: cái khoá phóng nạp
- phím (đàn pianô); nút bấm (sáo); bấm chữ (máy chữ)
- (kỹ thuật) mộng gỗ; chốt sắt; cái nêm
- cái manip ((thường) telegraph key)
- chìa khoá (của một vấn đề...), bí quyết; giải pháp
- the key to a mystery: chìa khoá để khám phá ra một điều bí ẩn
- the key to a difficulty: giải pháp cho một khó khăn
- lời giải đáp (bài tập...), sách giải đáp toán; lời chú dẫn (ở bản đồ)
- bản dịch theo từng chữ một
- ý kiến chủ đạo, ý kiến bao trùm
- (từ Mỹ,nghĩa Mỹ) nguyên tắc cơ bản; khẩu hiệu chính trong một cuộc vận động
- vị trí cửa ngõ, vị trí then chốt
- Gibraltar has been called the key to the Mediterranean: người ta gọi Gi-bran-ta là cửa ngõ của Địa trung hải
- giọng; cách suy nghĩ, cách diễn đạt
- to speak in a high key: nói giọng cao
- to speak in a low key: nói giọng trầm
- all in the same key: đều đều, đơn điệu
- (số nhiều) quyền lực của giáo hoàng
- power of the keys: quyền lực của giáo hoàng
- (định ngữ) then chốt, chủ yếu
- key branch of industry: ngành công nghiệp then chốt
- key position: vị trí then chốt
- golden (silver) key
- tiền đấm mồm, tiền hối lộ
- to have (get) the key of the street
- phải ngủ đêm ngoài đường, không cửa không nhà
- ngoại động từ
- (kỹ thuật) ((thường) + in, on) chèn, chêm, nêm, đóng chốt
- ((thường) + up) lên dây (đàn pianô...)
- (từ Mỹ,nghĩa Mỹ) làm cho hợp với, làm cho thích ứng với
- to key up
- (nghĩa bóng) khích động, kích thích, cổ vũ, động viên
- to key up somebody to do something: động viên ai làm gì
- nâng cao, tăng cường
- to key up one's endeavour: tăng cường nỗ lực
- (từ Mỹ,nghĩa Mỹ) làm căng thẳng tinh thần, làm căng thẳng đầu óc
+metal device shaped in such a way that when it is inserted into the appropriate lock the lock's mechanism can be rotated
+something crucial for explaining
+pitch of the voice
+any of 24 major or minor diatonic scales that provide the tonal framework for a piece of music
+a kilogram of a narcotic drug
+a winged often one-seed indehiscent fruit as of the ash or elm or maple
+United States lawyer and poet who wrote a poem after witnessing the British attack on Baltimore during the War of 1812; the poem was later set to music and entitled `The Star-Spangled Banner' (1779-1843)
+a coral reef off the southern coast of Florida
+(basketball) a space (including the foul line) in front of the basket at each end of a basketball court; usually painted a different color from the rest of the court
+a list of answers to a test
+a list of words or phrases that explain symbols or abbreviations
+a generic term for any device whose possession entitles the holder to a means of access
+mechanical device used to wind another device that is driven by a spring (as a clock)
+the central building block at the top of an arch or vault
+a lever that actuates a mechanism when depressed
+identify as in botany or biology, for example
+provide with a key
+vandalize a car by scratching the sides with a key
+regulate the musical pitch of
+harmonize with or adjust to
+serving as an essential component
+effective; producing a desired effect
Advanced English Dictionary
1 latchkey, skeleton key, passkey, opener:
Have you lost your car keys again? You will need a key to open the air valve on the radiator
2 clue, cue, guide, indication, indicator, explanation:
The key to his behaviour can probably be found in the way his mother treated him in his childhood
3 pitch, tone, timbre, level, tonality, frequency:
The song was originally written in the key of C.
4 legend, explanation, description, explication, clarification, translation:
A key to the symbols appears on every other page.
5 mood, tenor, tone, humour, style:
In this passage there is a change to a more sombre key.
6 important, essential, vital, necessary, crucial, critical, main, pivotal:
Automatic reversal is a key feature of this cassette player. Roderick is a key man in the company.
noun, verb, adjectiveCollocation Dictionary
tool for lock
1 a specially shaped piece of metal used for locking a door, starting a car, etc: to insert / turn the key in the lock + the car keys + a bunch of keys + the spare key to the front door + We'll have a duplicate key cut (= made). + There's a special key for winding up this clock.
most important thing
2 [usually sing.] ~ (to sth) a thing that makes you able to understand or achieve sth: The key to success is preparation. + The driver of the car probably holds the key to solving the crime. + (especially AmE) The key is, how long can the federal government control the inflation rate?
3 any of the buttons that you press to operate a computer or TYPEWRITER: Press the return key to enter the information.
on musical instrument
4 any of the wooden or metal parts that you press to play a piano and some other musical instruments
5 a set of related notes, based on a particular note. Pieces of music are usually written mainly using a particular key: a sonata in the key of E flat major + This piece changes key many times.
Compare: SCALE n. (7)
6 a set of answers to exercises or problems: Check your answers in the key at the back of the book.
7 an explanation of the symbols used on a map or plan
See also - LOW-KEY
Idioms see LOCK n.
+ verb [VN] ~ sth (in)
~ sth (into sth) to put information into a computer using a keyboard
Key (in) your password.
Phrasal Verbs: key sb/sth to sth [usually passive] (especially AmE) to make sb/sth suitable or appropriate for a particular purpose: The classes are keyed to the needs of advanced students.
+ adjective [only before noun] most important; essential: the key issue / factor / point + He was a key figure in the campaign. + She played a key role in the dispute. + 'Caution' is the key word in this situation.
1 for a door
master, skeleton | duplicate, spare | car, desk, front door, house, ignition, etc.
a large bunch of keys a set of car keys
VERB + KEY
She turned the key in the lock.
| insert, put in | remove, take out | use
She must have used a key to get in.
KEY + VERB
You need a key to open the garage.
| lock | turn
They heard a key turn in the back door lock.
with a/the ~
You have toclose it with the key.
| ~ to
thekey to the front door
get a key cut
I'll getanother key cut so that you canhave one.
2 on a computer
Alt, arrow, backspace, control, delete, escape, function, return, shift, etc. | shortcut
F1 is the shortcut key for calling up help.
the top row of keys
VERB + KEY
hit, hold down, press, touch
Hold down the Alt key while pressing the arrow keys.
> Special page at COMPUTER
3 explanation of symbols, etc.
KEY + VERB
tell sb sth
The key tells you what all the symbols mean.
in a/the ~
You can find the symbols in the key at the bottom of the page.
| ~ to
the key to the signs and symbols
4 decisive factor
VERB + KEY
First-time voters could hold the key to the election result.
Language is the key to understanding those around you.
5 in music
major, minor | high, low
VERB + KEY
KEY + VERB
The key changes from C major to A minor.
KEY + NOUN
change | signature
There are two sharps in the key signature of D major.
in a/the ~
What key's it in? Can we try it in a lower key?
| ~ of
the key of G major
Random quote: On every thorn, delightful wisdom grows, In every rill a sweet instruction flows.: Edward YoungLatest queries: utterance, transgressor, strip, belonging, outlook, grunt, ủn, sỏa, priceless, festival, hound, yoke, ice cream, shipwreck, hood, therapy, tangerine, twister, odalisque, key,