English - Vietnamese Dictionary
impress /im'pres/Concise Dictionary
- danh từ
- dấu (đóng vào, in vào...)
- (nghĩa bóng) dấu ấn
- a work bearing an impress of genius: tác phẩm mang dấu ấn của một thiên tài
- ngoại động từ
- đóng, in (dấu lên cái gì); đóng dấu vào, in dấu vào (cái gì)
- to impress the wax with a stamp: đóng dấu vào miếng sáp bằng con dấu
- ghi sâu vào, khắc sâu vào, in sâu vào
- to impress something on the memory: ghi sâu cái gì vào ký ức
- gây ấn tượng; làm cảm động, làm cảm kích
- to be deeply impressed by someone's kindness: cảm kích sâu sắc vì lòng tốt của ai
- ngoại động từ
- (sử học) cưỡng bách (thanh niên...) tòng quân, bắt (thanh niên...) đi lính
- trưng thu, sung công (hàng hoá...)
- đưa vào, dùng (những sự kiện... để làm dẫn chứng, để lập luận...)
+the act of coercing someone into government service
+have an emotional or cognitive impact upon
+produce or try to produce a vivid impression of
+mark or stamp with or as if with pressure
+reproduce by printing
+take (someone) against his will for compulsory service, especially on board a ship
+dye (fabric) before it is spun
Advanced English Dictionary
1 affect, touch, move, reach, stir, strike, sway, influence, persuade, Colloq grab, get under one's skin:
She was genuinely impressed by his sincerity.
2 print, imprint, stamp, mark, engrave, emboss:
Before the bowl was placed in the kiln, the potter's seal was impressed in its underside
3 Often, impress on or upon. stress, emphasize, urge, bring home (to):
They tried to impress on him the gravity of the situation.
+ verbCollocation Dictionary
1 ~ sb (with sth/sb) if a person or thing impresses you, you feel admiration for them or it: [VN] We interviewed a number of candidates but none of them impressed us. + She was suitably impressed (= as impressed as sb had hoped) with the painting. + He impressed her with his sincerity. + His sincerity impressed her. + The Grand Canyon never fails to impress people. + [V] The Grand Canyon never fails to impress. + [VN that] It impressed me that she remembered my name.
See also - IMPRESSIVE
2 [VN] ~ sth on / upon sb (formal) to make sb understand how important, serious etc. sth is by emphasizing it: He impressed on us the need for immediate action. + Their responsibilities are impressed on them during training.
3 [VN] ~ sth / itself on / upon sth (formal) to have a great effect on sth, especially sb's mind, imagination, etc: Her words impressed themselves on my memory.
See also - UNIMPRESSED
His work really impressed me.
VERB + IMPRESS
be determined to, be keen to, hope to, want to | attempt to, seek to, try to | be designed to | fail to
The results failed to impress us.
She impressed us with both the depth and range of her knowledge.
an attempt/effort to impress sb, be easily impressed
I was young and easily impressed.
Random quote: What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.: Ralph EmersonLatest queries: take from, hove, tap, vend, schmaltz, nice-looking, looks, loudness, tuber, holy, runaround, technic, mildly, darkly, . irrevocable, hell, innards, will power, shorter, impress,