English - Vietnamese Dictionary
illuminate /i'ju:mineit/Concise Dictionary
- ngoại động từ
- chiếu sáng, rọi sáng, soi sáng
- a room illuminated by neon lights: căn buồng có ánh đèn nê ông rọi sáng
- treo đèn kết hoa
- to illuminate the city for the holiday: treo đèn kết hoa khắp thành phố để đón mừng ngày lễ
- sơn son thiếp vàng, tô màu rực rỡ (chữ đầu một chương sách...)
- làm sáng tỏ, giải thích, giảng giải
- to illuminate difficult passanger in an old book: giảng giải những đoạn khó trong một cuốn sách cổ
- làm sáng mắt, làm sáng trí, mở mang trí óc cho, khai trí cho
- (từ Mỹ,nghĩa Mỹ) làm rạng rỡ
+make lighter or brighter
+make free from confusion or ambiguity; make clear
+add embellishments and paintings to (medieval manuscripts)
Advanced English Dictionary
1 light (up), brighten, lighten, throw or cast or shed light on or upon:
She had only a single candle to illuminate her sewing.
2 clarify, throw or cast or shed light on or upon, enlighten, clear up, elucidate, explain, explicate, reveal:
The lectures on Heidegger illuminated his philosophy to some extent.
3 rubricate, decorate, adorn, embellish, ornament:
The museum has the best collection of illuminated manuscripts.
(also less frequent illumine) verb [VN]Collocation Dictionary
1 to shine light on sth: Floodlights illuminated the stadium. + The earth is illuminated by the sun.
2 (formal) to make sth clearer or easier to understand
This text illuminates the philosopher's early thinking.
3 to decorate a street, building, etc. with bright lights for a special occasion
4 (literary) to make a person's face, etc. seem bright and excited
Synonym: LIGHT UP
Her smile illuminated her entire being.
1 give light to sth
brightly, clearly | dimly, faintly, softly
The room was dimly illuminated by the soft glow of his bedside lamp.
| briefly | suddenly
2 make sth clear
an incident which vividly illuminated the problems we faced
VERB + ILLUMINATE
The study of the present also helps to illuminate the past.
Random quote: Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises.: DemosthenesLatest queries: embark, immunisation, swoon, ownership, by the way, by the way, ancestor, starting, enticing, grieve, biomass, bannister, implementing, crud, beaten, barn, eye drops, tnt, debris, illuminate,