English - Vietnamese Dictionary
huff /hʌf/Thesaurus Dictionary
- danh từ
- cơn giận, cơn bực tức, cơn giận dỗi
- to take huff: nổi cáu, lên cơn giận
- in a huff: trong cơn giận, đang cáu, đang bực tức
- ngoại động từ
- gắt gỏng với, nói nặng với, nổi cáu với (ai)
- làm nổi giận, làm phát cáu; làm mếch lòng (ai)
- bắt nạt (ai); nạt nộ (ai)
- to huff someone into doing something: bắt nạt ai phải làm gì
- to huff someone out of doing something: bắt nạt ai không cho làm gì
- (đánh cờ) loại (một quân của đối phương)
- nội động từ
- nổi giận, phát khùng; giận dỗi, mếch lòng
Advanced English Dictionary
1 in a huff. piqued, peeved, testy, irritated, angered, vexed, annoyed, in high dudgeon, provoked, exasperated, petulant, in a pet, Colloq (all) het up:
She went off in a huff because I didn't praise her painting.
2 puff, blow, bluster:
When I complained about the food, the manager simply huffed and puffed and walked away.
verb, nounCollocation Dictionary
to say sth or make a noise in a way that shows you are offended or annoyed: [V speech] 'Well, nobody asked you,' she huffed irritably. [also V]
Idioms: huff and puff (informal)
1 to breathe in a noisy way because you are very tired: Jack was huffing and puffing to keep up with her.
2 to make it obvious that you are annoyed about sth without doing anything to change the situation: After much huffing and puffing, she finally agreed to help.
Idioms: in a huff (informal) in a bad mood, especially because sb has annoyed or upset you: She went off in a huff.
VERB + HUFF
get in, go into | go off in, march off in, storm off in, walk off in
She went off in a huff after losing the game.
in a ~
He's in a huff because he wasn't invited.
| ~ at
She got in a huff at being doubted.
| ~ over
Alison's in a huff over the joke they played on her.
Random quote: Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you.: Henri-Frederic AmielLatest queries: sophomore, its, run-off, learners, gestated, chore, dipper, elbow, cream, tamarind, phobias, desert, participation, froggy, inclusive, pride, workload, zirconium, back, huff,