Updated English - Vietnamese Dictionary
how /hau/Concise Dictionary
- phó từ
- thế nào, như thế nào; sao, ra sao, làm sao
- he doesn't know how to behave: hắn không biết xử sự thế nào
- how comes it? how is it?: sao, sự thể ra sao? sao lại ra như vậy?
- how now?: sao, thế là thế nào?
- how so?: sao lại như thế được?
- how is it that...?: làm sao mà...?, làm thế nào mà...?
- bao nhiêu; giá bao nhiêu
- how old is he?: hắn bao nhiêu tuổi?
- how much (many)?: bao nhiêu?
- how long?: dài bao nhiêu? bao lâu?
- how are eggs today?: hôm nay trứng giá bao nhiêu?
- làm sao, biết bao, xiếc bao, biết bao nhiêu, sao mà... đến thế
- how beautiful!: sao mà đẹp thế! thật là đẹp biết bao!
- rằng, là
- he told us how he had got a job: anh a nói với chúng tôi rằng anh ta đã kiếm được một công việc làm
- như, theo cái cách
- do it how you can: anh làm việc đó như anh có thể; hây làm việc đó theo như cái cách mà anh có thể làm được
- and how!
- (từ Mỹ,nghĩa Mỹ), (từ lóng), ((thường)(mỉa mai)) sao, mà có hơn thế nhiều nữa chứ!
- how are you!
- how do you do!
- how d'ye do?
- anh có khoẻ không (câu hỏi thăm khi gặp nhau)
- how the deuce (devil, dickens)...
- how on earth...
- quái quỷ thế nào mà..., làm thế quái nào mà...
- how is that for high (queer, a surprise)?
- sao mà lạ thế?, sao mà lại kỳ quái thế?
- how much?
- (từ lóng) cái quái gì?, cái đếch gì?
- he plays the saxtuba - Plays the how much?: nó biết thổi kèn xactuba biết thổi cái đếch gì
- danh từ
- cách làm, phương pháp làm
- the how of it: cách làm cái đó
haʊAdvanced English Dictionary
adv. in what way?, in what manner?, by what means?; to what extent?
1 in what way or manner: How does it work? + He did not know how he ought to behave. + I'll show you how to load the software. + 'Her behaviour was very odd.' 'How so?' + It's funny how (= that) people always remember him. + Do you remember how (= that) the kids always loved going there? + How ever did you get here so quickly?
2 used to ask about sb's health: How are you? + How are you feeling now?
3 used to ask whether sth is successful or enjoyable: How was your trip? + How did they play?
4 used before an adjective or adverb to ask about the amount, degree, etc. of sth, or about sb's age: How often do you go swimming? + I didn't know how much to bring. + How much are those earrings (= What do they cost)? + How many people were there? + How old is she?
5 used to express surprise, pleasure, etc: How kind of you to help! + How he wished he had been there!
6 in any way in which
I'll dress how I like in my own house!
Idioms: how can / could you! (spoken) used to show that you strongly disapprove of sb's behaviour or are very surprised by it: Ben! How could you? After all they've done for us! + Ugh! How can you eat that stuff?
how come? (spoken) used to ask the reason for sth: 'I think you owe me some money.' 'How come?'
how do you do (becoming old-fashioned) used as a formal greeting when you meet sb for the first time. The usual reply is also How do you do?
how's that? (spoken)
1 used to ask the reason for sth: 'I left work early today.' 'How's that (= Why)?'
2 used when asking sb's opinion of sth: I'll tuck your sheets in for you. How's that? Comfortable? + Two o'clock on the dot! How's that for punctuality!
Random quote: If you aren't going all the way, why go at all?: Joe NamathLatest queries: demons, interfering, placed, spurious, urology, wedding, pursue, wholehearted, narcissist, cost, futile, imperialistic, accompanied, nit, beds, teeter, mooning, tile, embarrassed, how,
Optional: 01/2018:Picture Dictionary
Updated: 05/06/2018:List of Academic Words
Updated: 03/2019: Learning by reading annotated text, reliable state of art and updated news