English - Vietnamese Dictionary
drink /driɳk/Concise Dictionary
- danh từ
- đồ uống, thức uống
- solf drinks: đồ uống nhẹ (không có chất rượu)
- strong drinks: rượu mạnh
- rượu mạnh ((cũng) strong drink)
- hớp, ngụm; cốc, ly (rượu, nước giải khát)
- to have a drink: uống một cốc (rượu...)
- to stand drinks round: thết một chầu uống (rượu...)
- thói rượu chè, thói nghiện rượu
- to be on the drink: rượu chè bê tha, uống rượu tí bỉ
- to take to drink: nhiễm thói rượu chè
- to be in drink: say rượu
- (hàng không), (từ lóng) biển
- ngoại động từ drank; drunk; (thơ ca) drunken
- uống (rượu, nước...)
- to drink the waters: uống nước suối khoáng (để chữa bệnh)
- uống cạn; (nghĩa bóng) tận hưởng; chịu đựng cho đến cùng
- he has drunk two cups of tea: anh ấy đã uống (cạn) hai tách trà
- to drink the cup of joy: tận hưởng niềm vui
- to drink the cup of pain: chịu đựng cho đến cùng nỗi đau đớn
- uống hết, rượu chè phung phí hết (tiền...)
- to drink one's wages: uống hết tiền lương, rượu chè phung phí hết tiền lương
- uống cho đến nỗi
- to drink oneself drunk: uống say luý tuý
- to drink oneself to dealth: uống nhiều quá đến chết mất
- to drink oneself into debt: uống cho đến mang công mắc nợ
- nâng cốc chúc
- to drink someone's health: nâng cốc chúc sức khoẻ ai
- to drink success to someone: uống chúc mừng ai thành công
- ((thường) + up, in) hút, thấm (nước) (cây, giấy thấm...)
- nội động từ
- (+ to) nâng cốc chúc
- to drink to somebody: nâng cốc chúc sức khoẻ ai
- uống rượu, uống say, nghiện rượu
- to drink deep; to drink hard; to drink heavily; to drink like a fish: uống luý tuý, uống rượu như hũ chìm
- to drink away
- rượu chè mất hết (lý trí...)
- uống cho quên hết (nỗi sầu...)
- to drink [someone] down
- uống hơn (ai), tửu lượng bỏ ai (xa)
- nghe như uống lấy, nghe say sưa; ngắm nhìn như uống lấy, ngắm nhìn say sưa
- (thông tục) nốc (rượu) vào
- to drink off; to drink up
- uống một hơi, nốc thẳng một hơi
- to drink confusion to somebody
- to drink someone under the table
- uống được nhiều rượu hơn ai, tửu lượng bỏ xa ai
+a single serving of a beverage
+the act of drinking alcoholic beverages to excess
+any liquid suitable for drinking
+any large deep body of water
+the act of swallowing
+take in liquids
+propose a toast to
+be fascinated or spell-bound by; pay close attention to
+drink excessive amounts of alcohol; be an alcoholic
Advanced English Dictionary
1 quaff, imbibe, sip, gulp, swallow, swill, guzzle, toss off, lap (up), Colloq wet one's whistle, swig, knock back, US belt:
She prefers not to drink beer.
2 tipple, nip, indulge, tope, chug-a-lug, carouse, Colloq booze, bend the elbow, hit the bottle, go on a binge or bender, drown one's sorrows, US and Canadian go on a toot, Chiefly Brit pub-crawl:
He threatened to leave her if she continued to drink.
3 drink to. toast, salute, celebrate, pledge:
Let's drink to friendship!
4 beverage, potation, liquid refreshment, liquid, potable, draught:
After the match I was dying for a drink.
5 alcohol, spirits, liquor, the cup that cheers; stirrup-cup; Colloq booze, the bottle, hard stuff, mother's ruin, eye-opener, nightcap, US hooch; Slang rot-gut, US the sauce, red-eye:
After the accident, he took to drink.
6 tot, nip, draught or US also draft, schooner, pint, bumper, jigger, snifter, sip, taste, glass, gulp, swallow, Scots (wee) deoch an doris or doch an dorris, (wee) dram, Brit sundowner; Colloq snort, slug, swig:
Granny likes a drink before retiring.
7 the drink. the sea, the ocean, the main, the deep, Nautical Davy Jones's locker, Colloq the briny:
The canoe tipped and our picnic went right into the drink!
noun, verbCollocation Dictionary
1 [C, U] a liquid for drinking; an amount of a liquid that you drink: Can I have a drink? + soft drinks (= cold drinks without alcohol) + a drink of water + food and drink + She took a drink from the glass and then put it down.
2 [C, U] alcohol or an alcoholic drink; sth that you drink on a social occasion: Let's go for a drink. + The drinks are on me (= I'll pay for them). + I need a stiff drink (= a very strong drink). + (BrE) He's got a drink problem. + (AmE) He has a drinking problem. + (humorous) The children are enough to drive me to drink. + (BrE) They came home the worse for drink (= drunk). + She took to drink (= drank too much alcohol) after her marriage broke up.
3 (drinks) [pl.] (BrE) a social occasion where you have alcoholic drinks: Would you like to come for drinks on Sunday? + a drinks party
Idioms see DEMON, MEAT
+ verb (drank )
1 to take liquid into your mouth and swallow it: [V] What would you like to drink? + He was drinking straight from the bottle. + [VN] In hot weather, you should drink plenty of water. + I don't drink coffee.
2 to drink alcohol, especially when it is done regularly: [V] He doesn't drink. + Don't drink and drive (= drive a car after drinking alcohol). + She's been drinking heavily since she lost her job. + [VN] I drank far too much last night. + [VN-ADJ] He had drunk himself unconscious on vodka.
See also - DRUNK
Idioms: drink sb's health (BrE) to wish sb good health as you lift your glass, and then drink from it
drink like a fish to drink a lot of alcohol regularly
drink sb under the table (informal) to drink more alcohol than sb else without becoming as drunk as they are
Phrasal Verbs: drink sth<->in to look at or listen to sth with great interest and enjoyment: We just stood there drinking in the scenery.
drink to sb/sth to wish sb good luck, health or success as you lift your glass and then drink from it
All raise your glasses and drink to Katie and Tom!
drink (sth)<->up to drink all of sth: Drink up and let's go. + Come on, drink up your juice.
cold, cool, iced, refreshing
I could do with a nice cool drink.
| hot, warm | milky | fizzy | low-alcohol, non-alcoholic, reduced-alcohol, soft | alcoholic | stiff, strong | diet, low-calorie | long
She took a long drink of cold water.
| celebratory | welcome
You will be offered a welcome drink on arrival at the hotel.
| farewell | early-evening, lunchtime | leisurely
We were enjoying a leisurely drink before dinner.
| quick | quiet
We ordered a round of drinks while waiting for a table.
VERB + DRINK
I'll just drink my drink then we can go. She had a hot drink and went to bed.
| sip | down, finish, knock back
He knocked back his drink in one go and ordered another one.
He took a drink of his beer and sat down.
| go for
Would you like to go for a drink after work?
| buy (sb), get (sb), offer (sb), order (sb)
Can I buy you a drink?
| pour (sb), serve (sb)
He poured himself a stiff drink to calm his nerves.
The robbers spiked his drink before taking his wallet and passport.
| drive sb to
Her money problems drove her to drink (= made her start drinking a lot of alcohol).
| turn to
After his wife died, he turned to drink.
DRINK + NOUN
We've been invited to a drinks party.
| drinks cabinet/cupboard
She took a bottle from the drinks cabinet.
She suspected her boss had a drink problem.
in a/the ~
Do you want ice in your drink?
| ~ of
I'll have a drink of milk, please. verb
1 take liquid into the body
I pulled the ring-top from the can and drank greedily.
| down, up
He filled a cup with water and drank it down in one gulp. Drink up, and let's go home.
VERB + DRINK
get yourself sth to, find sth to, have sth to
Go and get yourself something to eat and drink.
He drank from a tumbler.
drinking lemonade through a straw
eat and drink
2 drink alcohol
excessively, heavily, to excess, too much
He's been drinking heavily since he lost his job.
| in moderation, moderately, sensibly
One way of persuading people to drink sensibly is to provide good-tasting alternatives with less alcohol.
She had been drinking steadily since the early morning.
drink and drive
The campaign aims to persuade people not to drink and drive.
| drink like a fish
(= drink a lot)Simon was drinking like a fish that evening.
| drink yourself to death
He knew that he was probably drinking himself to death.
Random quote: Life is what you make of it. Always has been, always will be.: Grandma MosesLatest queries: sonnet, filming, taiwan, crockery, kinfolk, planet, likable, pillowcase, runtime, cuba, staffer, tailwind, pappy, counseling, operates, push-cart, tint, dissemination, house, drink,