English - Vietnamese Dictionary
do /du:, du/Concise Dictionary
- ngoại động từ did, done
- làm, thực hiện
- to do one's duty: làm nhiệm vụ, thực hiện nhiệm vụ
- to do one's best: làm hết sức mình
- làm, làm cho, gây cho
- to do somebody good: làm lợi cho ai; làm điều tốt cho ai
- to do somebody harm: làm hại ai
- to do somebody credit: làm ai nổi tiếng
- làm, học (bài...); giải (bài toán); dịch
- to do one's lessons: làm bài, học bài
- to do a sum: giải bài toán, làm bài toán
- the "Arabian Nights" done into English: cuốn "một nghìn một đêm lẻ" dịch sang tiếng Anh
- ((thường) thời hoàn thành & động tính từ quá khứ) làm xong, xong, hết
- how many pages have you done?: anh đã đọc xong bao nhiêu trang rồi?
- have you done laughing?: anh đã cười hết chưa?
- dọn, thu dọn, sắp xếp, thu xếp ngăn nắp, sửa soạn
- to do one's room: thu dọn buồng
- to do one's hair: vấn tóc, làm đầu
- nấu, nướng, quay, rán
- meat done to a turn: thịt nấu (nướng) vừa chín tới
- đóng vai; làm ra vẻ, làm ra bộ
- to do Hamlet: đóng vai Hăm-lét
- to do the polite: làm ra vẻ lễ phép
- đi, qua (một quãng đường)
- to do six miles in an hour: đi qua sáu dặm trong một giờ
- (từ lóng) bịp, lừa bịp, ăn gian
- to do someone out of something: lừa ai lấy cái gì
- (thông tục) đi thăm, đi tham quan
- to do the museum: tham quan viện bảo tàng
- (từ lóng) chịu (một hạn tù)
- (từ lóng) cho ăn, đãi
- they do him very well: họ cho anh ta ăn uống no nê; họ cho anh ta ăn uống ngon lành
- to do oneself well: ăn uống sung túc, tự chăm lo ăn uống sung túc
- nội động từ
- làm, thực hiện, xử sự, hành động, hoạt động
- he did well to refuse: hắn từ chối là (xử sự) đúng
- to do or die; to do and die: phải hành động hay là chết, phải thắng hay là chết
- thời hoàn thành làm xong, hoàn thành, chấm dứt
- have you done with that book?: anh ta đọc xong cuốn sách đó chưa?
- have done!: thôi đi! thế là đủ rồi!
- he has done with smoking: hắn đã bỏ (chấm dứt) cái thói hút thuốc lá
- được, ổn, chu toàn, an toàn, hợp
- will that do?: cái đó được không? cái đó có ổn không?
- that will do: điều đó được đấy, cái đó ăn thua đấy
- this sort of work won't do for him: loại công việc đó đối với hắn không hợp
- it won't do to play all day: chơi rong cả ngày thì không ổn
- thấy trong người, thấy sức khoẻ (tốt, xấu...); làm ăn xoay sở
- how do you do?: anh có khoẻ không? (câu hỏi thăm khi gặp nhau)
- he is doing very well: anh ta dạo này làm ăn khấm khá lắm
- we can do well without your help: không có sự giúp đỡ của anh chúng tôi cũng có thể xoay sở (làm ăn) được tốt thôi
- nội động từ
- (dùng ở câu nghi vấn và câu phủ định)
- do you smoke?: anh có hút thuốc không?
- I do not know his name: tôi không biết tên anh ta
- (dùng để nhấn mạnh ý khẳng định, mệnh lệnh)
- do come: thế nào anh cũng đến nhé
- I do wish he could come: tôi rất mong anh ấy có thể đến được
- động từ
- (dùng thay thế cho một động từ khác để tránh nhắc lại)
- he works as much as you do: hắn cũng làm việc nhiều như anh (làm việc)
- he likes swimming and so do I: hắn thích bơi và tôi cũng vậy
- did you meet him? Yes I did: anh có gặp hắn không? có, tôi có gặp
- he speaks English better than he did: bây giờ anh ta nói tiếng Anh khá hơn (là anh ta nói) trước kia
- to do away [with]
- bỏ đi, huỷ bỏ, gạt bỏ, diệt đi, làm mất đi
- this old custom is done away with: tục cổ ấy đã bị bỏ đi rồi
- to do away with oneself: tự tử
- do as you would be done by: hãy xử sự với người khác như anh muốn người ta xử sự với mình
- to do for (thông tục)
- chăm nom công việc gia đình cho, lo việc nội trợ cho (ai)
- khử đi, trừ khử, giết đi; phá huỷ, huỷ hoại đi; làm tiêu ma đi sự nghiệp, làm thất cơ lỡ vận
- he is done for: hắn chết rồi, hắn bỏ đời rồi, gắn tiêu ma sự nghiệp rồi
- to do in (thông tục)
- bắt, tóm cổ (ai); tống (ai) vào tù
- done up in brown paper: gói bằng giấy nâu gói hàng
- sửa lại (cái mũ, gian phòng...)
- làm mệt lử, làm kiệt sức, làm sụm lưng
- to do with
- vui lòng, vừa ý với; ổn, được, chịu được, thu xếp được, xoay sở được
- we can do with a small house: một căn nhà nhỏ thôi đối với chúng tôi cũng ổn rồi; chúng tôi có thể thu xếp được với một căn nhà nhỏ thôi
- I can do with another glass: (đùa cợt) tôi có thể làm một cốc nữa cũng cứ được
- to do without
- bỏ được, bỏ qua được, nhin được, không cần đến
- he can't do without his pair of crutches: anh ta không thể nào bỏ đôi nạng mà đi được
- to do somebody's business
- to do one's damnedest
- (từ lóng) làm hết sức mình
- to do in the eye
- (từ lóng) bịp, lừa bịp, ăn gian
- to do someone proud
- (từ lóng) phỉnh ai, tâng bốc ai
- it isn't done!
- không ai làm những điều như thế!, điều đó không ổn đâu!
- danh từ
- (từ lóng) trò lừa đảo, trò lừa bịp
- (thông tục) chầu, bữa chén, bữa nhậu nhẹt
- we've got a do on tonight: đêm nay bọn ta có bữa chén
- (số nhiều) phần
- fair dos!: chia phần cho đều!, chia phần cho công bằng!
- (Uc) (từ lóng) sự tiến bộ, sự thành công
did|done|does|doing|dosduː;dʊAdvanced English Dictionary
+an uproarious party
+the syllable naming the first (tonic) note of any major scale in solmization
+doctor's degree in osteopathy
+carry out or perform an action
+get (something) done
+proceed or get along
+give rise to; cause to happen or occur, not always intentionally
+carry out or practice; as of jobs and professions
+be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity
+create or design, often in a certain way
+behave in a certain manner; show a certain behavior; conduct or comport oneself
+spend time in prison or in a labor camp
+carry on or manage
+travel or traverse (a distance)
verb, auxiliary verb, noun
+ verb (does )
1 [VN] used to refer to actions that you do not mention by name or do not know about: What are you doing this evening? + We will do what we can to help. + Are you doing anything tomorrow evening? + The company ought to do something about the poor service. + There's nothing to do (= no means of passing the time in an enjoyable way) in this place. + There's nothing we can do about it (= we can't change the situation). + What can I do for you (= how can I help)?
2 [V +adv./prep.] ~ (as ...) to act or behave in the way mentioned: Do as you're told! + They are free to do as they please. + You would do well to (= I advise you to) consider all the options before buying.
succeed / progress
3 [V +adv./prep.] used to ask or talk about the success or progress of sb/sth: How is the business doing? + She did well out of (= made a big profit from) the deal. + He's doing very well at school (= his work is good). + Both mother and baby are doing well (= after the birth of the baby). + (informal) How are you doing (= how are you)?
task / activity
4 [VN] to work at or perform an activity or a task: I'm doing some research on the subject. + I have a number of things to do today. + I do aerobics once a week. + (especially AmE) Let's do (= meet for) lunch. + (spoken) Sorry. I don't do funny (= I can't be funny).
5 [VN] used with nouns to talk about tasks such as cleaning, washing, arranging, mending, etc: to do (= wash) the dishes + to do (= arrange) the flowers + I like the way you've done your hair.
6 [VN] ~ the ironing, cooking, shopping, etc.
~ some, a little, etc. acting, writing, etc. to perform the activity or task mentioned: I like listening to the radio when I'm doing the ironing. + She did a lot of acting when she was at college.
7 [VN] (usually used in questions) to work at sth as a job: What do you do (= what is your job)? + What does she want to do when she leaves school? + What did she do for a living? + What's Tom doing these days?
8 [VN] to learn or study sth: I'm doing physics, biology and chemistry. + Have you done any (= studied anything by) Keats?
9 [VN] to find the answer to sth; to solve sth: I can't do this sum. + Are you good at doing crosswords?
10 ~ sth (for sb)
~ (sb) sth to produce or make sth: [VN] to do a drawing / painting / sketch + Does this pub do (= provide) lunches? + Who's doing (= organizing and preparing) the food for the wedding reception? + [VN, VNN] I'll do a copy for you. + I'll do you a copy.
11 [VN] to perform or produce a play, an opera, etc: The local dramatic society is doing 'Hamlet' next month.
12 [VN] to copy sb's behaviour or the way sb speaks, sings, etc., especially in order to make people laugh: He does a great Elvis Presley. + Can you do a Welsh accent?
13 (have / be done, get sth done) (formal) to finish sth: [V] Sit there and wait till I've done. + [V -ing] I've done talking-let's get started. + [VN] Did you get your article done in time?
14 [VN] to travel a particular distance: How many miles did you do during your tour? + My car does 40 miles to the gallon (= uses one GALLON of petrol / gas to travel 40 miles).
15 [VN] to complete a journey/trip: We did the round trip in two hours.
16 [VN] to travel at or reach a particular speed: The car was doing 90 miles an hour.
17 [VN] (informal) to visit a place as a tourist: We did Tokyo in three days.
18 [VN] to spend a period of time doing sth: She did a year at college, but then dropped out. + He did six years (= in prison) for armed robbery.
19 [VN] to deal with or attend to sb/sth: The hairdresser said she could do me (= cut my hair) at three.
be suitable / enough
20 ~ (for sb/sth)
~ (as sth) to be suitable or be enough for sb/sth: [V] These shoes won't do for the party. + 'Can you lend me some money?' 'Sure-will $20 do?' + The box will do fine as a table. + [VN] (especially BrE) This room will do me nicely, thank you (= it has everything I need). - ENOUGH
21 [VN] to cook sth: How would you like your steak done?
22 [VN] [usually passive] (BrE, informal) to cheat sb: This isn't a genuine antique-you've been done.
23 (BrE) ~ sb (for sth) (informal) to punish sb: They did him for tax evasion. + She got done for speeding.
24 [VN] (informal) to rob a place: The gang did a warehouse and a supermarket.
25 [VN] (informal) to take an illegal drug: He doesn't smoke, drink or do drugs.
26 [VN] ~ it (slang) to have sex
Idioms: Most idioms containing do are at the entries for the nouns and adjectives in the idioms, for example do a bunk is at bunk.
be / have to do with sb/sth to be about or connected with sb/sth: 'What do you want to see me about?' 'It's to do with that letter you sent me.'
have (got) something, nothing, a lot, etc. to do with sb/sth used to talk about how much sb/sth is connected with sb/sth: Her job has something to do with computers. + 'How much do you earn?' 'What's it got to do with you?' + Hard work has a lot to do with (= is an important reason for) her success. + We don't have very much to do with our neighbours (= we do not speak to them very often). + I'd have nothing to do with him, if I were you.
it won't do (especially BrE) used to say that a situation is not satisfactory and should be changed or improved: This is the third time you've been late this week; it simply won't do.
not do anything / a lot / much for sb (informal) used to say that sth does not make sb look attractive: That hairstyle doesn't do anything for her.
nothing doing (informal) used to refuse a request: 'Can you lend me ten dollars?' 'Nothing doing!'
no you don't (spoken) used to show that you intend to stop sb from doing sth that they were going to do: Sharon went to get into the taxi. 'Oh no you don't,' said Steve.
that does it (informal) used to show that you will not accept sth any longer: That does it, I'm off. I'm not having you swear like that at me.
that's done it (informal) used to say that an accident, a mistake, etc. has spoiled or ruined sth: That's done it. You've completely broken it this time.
that will do used to order sb to stop doing or saying sth: That'll do, children-you're getting far too noisy.
what do you do for sth? used to ask how sb manages to obtain the thing mentioned: What do you do for entertainment out here?
what is sb/sth doing ...? used to ask why sb/sth is in the place mentioned: What are these shoes doing on my desk?
Phrasal Verbs: do away with sb / yourself (informal) to kill sb/yourself
do away with sth (informal) to stop doing or having sth; to make sth end
He thinks it's time we did away with the monarchy.
do sb/sth down (BrE, informal) to criticize sb/sth unfairly
do for sb/sth [usually passive] (informal) to ruin, destroy or kill sb/sth: Without that contract, we're done for. + It was the cold that did for him in the end.
do sb / yourself in (informal)
1 to kill sb/yourself: He was so depressed he felt like doing himself in.
2 [usually passive] to make sb very tired: Come and sit down-you look done in.
do sth<->in (informal) to injure a part of the body: He did his back in lifting heavy furniture.
do sb out of sth (informal) to unfairly prevent sb from having what they ought to have: She was done out of her promotion.
do sb over (informal, especially BrE) to attack and beat sb severely: He was done over by a gang of thugs.
1 to clean or decorate sth again: The paintwork will need doing over soon.
2 (AmE) to do sth again: She insisted that everything be done over.
do up to be fastened: The skirt does up at the back.
1 to fasten a coat, skirt, etc: He never bothers to do his jacket up.
2 to make sth into a package
She was carrying a package done up in brown paper.
3 (BrE) to repair and decorate a house, etc: He makes money by buying old houses and doing them up.
do yourself up (informal) to make yourself more attractive by putting on MAKE-UP, attractive clothes, etc.
do sth with sb/sth (used in negative sentences and questions with what): I don't know what to do with (= how to use) all the food that's left over. + What have you done with (= where have you put) my umbrella? + What have you been doing with yourselves (= how have you been passing the time)?
See also - could do with atCOULD, CAN'T BE DOING WITH
do without sb/sth to manage without sb/sth: She can't do without a secretary. + If they can't get it to us in time, we'll just have to do without. [+ -ing] (ironic) I could have done without being (= I wish I had not been) woken up at three in the morning.
auxiliary verb (does )
1 used before a full verb to form negative sentences and questions: I don't like fish. + They didn't go to Paris. + Don't forget to write. + Does she speak French?
2 used to make QUESTION TAGS (= short questions at the end of statements): You live in New York, don't you? + She doesn't work here, does she?
3 used to avoid repeating a full verb: He plays better than he did a year ago. + She works harder than he does. + 'Who won?' 'I did.' + 'I love peaches.' 'So do I. + 'I don't want to go back.' 'Neither do I.'
4 used when no other AUXILIARY verb is present, to emphasize what you are saying: He does look tired. + She did at least write to say thank you. + (BrE) Do shut up!
5 used to change the order of the subject and verb when an adverb is moved to the front: Not only does she speak Spanish, she's also good with computers.
) (BrE, informal) a party; a social event: Are you having a big do for your birthday?
Idioms: do's and don'ts (informal) rules that you should follow: Here are some do's and don'ts for exercise during pregnancy.
more at FAIR adj.
household jobs: do or make?
To talk about jobs in the home you can use such phrases as wash the dishes, clean the kitchen floor, set the table, etc. In conversation the verb do is often used instead: Let me do the dishes. + Michael said he would do the kitchen floor. + It's your turn to do the table. Do is often used with nouns ending -ing:
to do the shopping/cleaning/ironing/vacuuming.
The verb make is used especially in the phrase make the beds and when you are talking about preparing or cooking food: He makes a great lasagne. + I'll make breakfast while you're having a shower. You can also say get, get ready and, especially in AmE, fix for preparing meals:
Can you get dinner while I put the kids to bed? + Sit down - I'll fix supper for you.
See also - DO(also do)
(music) the 1st and 8th note of a MAJOR scale
Random quote: The Superior Man is aware of Righteousness, the inferior man is aware of advantage.: ConfuciusLatest queries: malfunction, injected, flyaway, gentler, aggravate, proprietress, unbalanced, arranged, flyby, toothpaste, threat, attributable, greenhouse effect, damages, moonstruck, crosstown, fierce, drake, at fault, do,