English - Vietnamese Dictionary
cradle /'kreidl/Concise Dictionary
- danh từ
- (nghĩa bóng) nguồn gốc, gốc, nơi bắt nguồn, cái nôi
- the cradle of the Anglo-Saxon: nguồn gốc người Ang-lô Xắc-xông
- (hàng hải) giàn giữ tàu (khi đóng hoặc sửa chữa)
- cái khung gạt (ở cái hái lớn
- giá để ống nghe (của máy điện thoại)
- from the cradle
- từ khi còn nằm nôi, từ khi mới lọt lòng
- to rob the cradle
- (thông tục) tìm hiểu (lấy) người trẻ hơn mình; già còn thích chơi trống bỏi
- ngoại động từ
- đặt (đứa trẻ) vào nôi; bế ẵm nâng niu bế đứa trẻ trong tay
- đặt (tàu) vào giá (để đóng hoặc sửa chữa)
- cắt (lúa...) bằng hái có khung gạt
cradles|cradled|cradling'kreɪdlAdvanced English Dictionary
+a baby bed with sides and rockers
+where something originated or was nurtured in its early existence
+birth of a person
+a trough that can be rocked back and forth; used by gold miners to shake auriferous earth in water in order to separate the gold
+hold gently and carefully
+bring up from infancy
+hold or place in or as if in a cradle
+cut grain with a cradle scythe
+wash in a cradle
+run with the stick
noun, verbCollocation Dictionary
1 a small bed for a baby which can be pushed gently from side to side: She rocked the baby to sleep in its cradle.
2 [usually sing.] ~ of sth the place where sth important began: Greece, the cradle of Western civilization
3 (BrE) a small platform that can be moved up and down the outside of a high building, used by people cleaning windows, etc.
4 the part of a telephone on which the RECEIVER rests
Idioms: from the cradle to the grave a way of referring to the whole of a person's life, from birth until death
+ verb [VN] to hold sb/sth gently in your arms or hands: The old man cradled the tiny baby in his arms.
He picked the child up and gently cradled him in his arms.
She sat with the child cradled against her.
Latest queries: long, infusion, debit card, rounded, appearance, uncharacteristic, vitiate, positively, iron, gravitation, questionnaire, poke, grin, carnation, Eden, Rheme, badinage, More, Dramatic, cradle,