English - Vietnamese Dictionary
bone /boun/Concise Dictionary
- danh từ
- frozen to the bone: rét thấu xương
- to be nothing but skin and bone: gầy giơ xương
- chất xương; chất ngà; chất ngà răng; chất sừng cá voi
- đồ bằng xương; (số nhiều) con súc sắc, quân cờ...
- (số nhiều) bộ xương; thân thể
- my old bones: cái tấm thân già này
- cái gây tranh chấp, cái gây bất hoà
- bone of contention: nguyên nhân tranh chấp, nguyên nhân bất hoà
- to have a bone to oick with somebody: có vấn đề tranh chấp với ai; có vấn đề thanh toán với ai
- (từ Mỹ,nghĩa Mỹ), (từ lóng) đồng đô-la
- to be on one's bones
- túng quẫn, đi đến chỗ túng quẫn
- to bred in the bones
- ăn vào tận xương tuỷ, không tẩy trừ được
- what is bred in the bone will not go (come) out of the flesh
- (tục ngữ) quen nết đánh chết không chừa
- to cast [in] a bone between...
- to cut price to the bone
- giảm giá hàng tới mức tối thiểu
- to feel in one's bones
- cảm thấy chắc chắn, tin hoàn toàn
- to have a bone in one's arm (leg)
- (đùa cợt) mệt nhừ người không muốn nhấc tay (không buồn cất bước) nữa
- to have a bone in one's throat
- (đùa cợt) mệt không muốn nói nữa; không muốn mở miệng nữa
- to keep the bone green
- giữ sức khoẻ tốt; giữ được trẻ lâu
- to make no bones about (of)
- không do dự, không ngập ngừng; không nghi ngại gì; không giấu giếm
- ngoại động từ
- to bone up
- (từ Mỹ,nghĩa Mỹ) học gạo (ôn đi, ôn lại)
bones|boned|boningbəʊnAdvanced English Dictionary
+rigid connective tissue that makes up the skeleton of vertebrates
+the porous calcified substance from which bones are made
+a shade of white the color of bleached bones
+study intensively, as before an exam
+remove the bones from
+consisting of or made up of bone
noun, verbCollocation Dictionary
1 [C] any of the hard parts that form the SKELETON of the body of a human or an animal: He survived the accident with no broken bones. + This fish has a lot of bones in it. + The dog was gnawing at a bone. + She had a beautiful face with very good bone structure.
2 [U] the hard substance that bones are made of: knives with bone handles
3 (-boned) (in adjectives) having bones of the type mentioned: fine-boned
Idioms: a bone of contention a subject which causes disagreement and arguments between people
close to the bone (BrE, informal) (of a remark, joke, story, etc.) so honest or clearly expressed that it is likely to cause offence to some people: His comments about her size were a bit close to the bone. + Some of the sex scenes in the play were judged by critics to be too close to the bone.
cut, pare, etc. sth to the bone to reduce sth, such as costs, as much as you possibly can: Their annual budget has already been pared to the bone.
have a bone to pick with sb (spoken) to be angry with sb about sth and want to discuss it with them
make no bones about (doing) sth to be honest and open about sth; to not hesitate to do sth: She made no bones about telling him exactly what she thought of him.
to the bone affecting you very strongly: His threats chilled her to the bone.
more at BAG n., BARE adj., FEEL v., FINGER n., FLESH n., SKIN n.
+ verb [VN] to take the bones out of fish or meat
Phrasal Verbs: bone up on sth (informal) to try to learn about sth or to remind yourself of what you already know about it: She had boned up on the city's history before the visit.
the delicate bones of her face
| healthy | brittle, fragile
She was diagnosed as having brittle bones.
| broken, cracked, splintered | weary | bleached, dry
Her eyes were black in a face the colour of bleached bones.
| ankle, breast, cheek, collar, hip, leg, shin, thigh | animal, chicken, dinosaur, human
VERB + BONE
break, chip, crack, fracture | rest
He longed to get home to bed and rest his weary bones.
BONE + NOUN
The black and white photographs emphasized her fine bone structure.
a bone marrow transplant
| cancer, disease, disorders | graft, surgery
(break/jar) every bone in sb's body
The shock jarred every bone in his body.
| skin and bone
He's all skin and bone after his illness.
Random quote: He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.: EpictetusLatest queries: notable, gathering, slump, territorial, simultaneously, obsession, countable, self-esteem, rabble, mom, should, recommends, fantastic, expanding, lofty, indigent, microwave, according to, overlapped, bone,