English - Vietnamese Dictionary
alien /'eiljən/Concise Dictionary
- tính từ
- (thuộc) nước ngoài, (thuộc) chủng tộc khác
- alien customs: những phong tục nước ngoài
- alien from, to lạ, xa lạ, khác biệt; không có quan hệ gì với; không phải của mình
- their way of thingking is alien from ours: cách suy nghĩ của họ khác với suy nghĩ của chúng ta
- that question is alien to our subject: câu hỏi đó không có quan hệ gì với vấn đề của chúng ta
- alien to trái với, ngược với
- it's alien to my throughts: cái đó trái với những ý nghĩ của tôi
- danh từ
- người xa lạ; người không cùng chủng tộc, người khác họ
- người nước ngoài, ngoại kiều
- người bị thải ra khỏi..., người bị khai trừ ra khỏi...
- ngoại động từ
- (thơ ca) làm cho giận ghét; làm cho xa lánh ra
- to alien someone from his friends: làm cho bạn bè xa lánh ai
- (pháp lý) chuyển nhượng (tài sản...)
+a person who comes from a foreign country; someone who does not owe allegiance to your country
+anyone who does not belong in the environment in which they are found
+a form of life assumed to exist outside the Earth or its atmosphere
+transfer property or ownership
+arouse hostility or indifference in where there had formerly been love, affection, or friendliness
+not contained in or deriving from the essential nature of something
+being or from or characteristic of another place or part of the world
Advanced English Dictionary
1 foreign, strange, exotic, outlandish, unfamiliar:
The customs of the country were alien to me.
2 foreigner, stranger, outlander, outsider, non-native, immigrant, newcomer:
Aliens are required to register during January.
adjective, nounCollocation Dictionary
1 ~ (to sb/sth) strange and frightening; different from what you are used to: an alien environment + In a world that had suddenly become alien and dangerous, he was her only security.
2 (often disapproving) from another country or society; foreign: an alien culture + alien influences that threatened their way of life
3 ~ to sb/sth (disapproving) not usual or acceptable: The idea is alien to our religion. + A referendum is alien to the party's concept of democracy. + Cruelty was quite alien to him.
4 connected with creatures from another world: alien beings from outer space
1 (AmE also non-citizen) (law or technical) a person who is not a citizen of the country in which they live or work: an illegal alien
2 a creature from another world: aliens from outer space
During the war, he was imprisoned as an enemy alien.
Illegal aliens are usually deported to their country of origin.
| undesirable | residentadj
be, feel, seem | become | find sth
It was an act of violence that she found alien and shocking.
very | completely, entirely, totally, utterly | quite, somewhat | essentially
living in an essentially alien culture
They spoke a language totally alien to him.
Random quote: In separateness lies the world's great misery, in compassion lies the world's true strength.: BuddhaLatest queries: brightness, nadir, electronics, happed, clubhouse, atomicity, cairn, brutal, nosey, record, marching, brutality, happen, steeple, chauvinist, bugaboo, villa, attested, cardiovascular, alien,