English Vietnamese dictionary
- tính từ
- câm, không nói
- deaf and dumb: câm và điếc
- dumb show: tuồng câm
- câm, không kêu
- this piano has several dumb notes: chiếc đàn pianô này có nhiều nốt câm
- không biết nói; không có tiếng nói (trong chính phủ...)
- dumb animals: những con vật không biết nói
- the dumb millions: hàng triệu người không có tiếng nói trong chính phủ
- lặng đi, không nói lên được
- to strike someone dumb: làm cho ai lặng đi (vì sợ hãi...)
- lầm lì, ít nói
- (từ Mỹ,nghĩa Mỹ) ngu xuẩn, ngu ngốc, ngớ ngẩn
- câm, không nói
- ngoại động từ
- (từ hiếm,nghĩa hiếm) làm câm, làm câm lặng đi
Advanced English dictionary
+ adjective (dumber, dumbest)
1 (old-fashioned, sometimes offensive) unable to speak: She was born deaf and dumb.
Help Note: Dumb used in this meaning is old-fashioned and can be offensive. It is better to use speech-impaired instead.
2 temporarily not speaking or refusing to speak: We were all struck dumb with amazement. + We all sat there in dumb silence.
3 (informal, especially AmE) stupid: That was a pretty dumb thing to do. + If the police question you, act dumb (= pretend you do not know anything). + In all her early movies she always played a dumb blonde.
dumbly adverb: 'Are you all right?' Laura nodded dumbly.
dumbness noun [U]
Phrasal Verbs: dumb down
dumb sth<->down (disapproving) to make sth less accurate or EDUCATIONAL, and of worse quality, by trying to make it easier for people to understand: The BBC denies that its broadcasting has been dumbed down.
dumbing down noun [U]
1 mute, speechless, voiceless; silent, quiet, taciturn, mum, wordless; inarticulate:
She was struck dumb with astonishment.
2 dull, stupid, Colloq thick:
He's too dumb to understand what you are saying.
1 unable to speak
be | become, be struck
They were struck dumb by some sort of shock.
She sat there, dumb with rage.
deaf and dumb
be, feel, look, seem, sound
I'm sure my question sounded really dumb.
| act, play
I decided to act dumb.
really, very | pretty, rather
Concise English dictionary
+slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity
+unable to speak temporarily
+lacking the power of human speech
+unable to speak because of hereditary deafness